- There are many ways to avoid situations a person finds anxiety-filled, and here are just a few:
- avoiding eye contact
- playing with some small object (or keys, whatever)
- staring off into space
- counting the tiles in the ceiling/floor
- doodling (not all people who doodle are avoiding, just perhaps anxious people)
- leaving the situation entirely
I actually seem to have the hardest time with avoiding eye contact and leaving the situation entirely when it gets too hard. Thanks to a wonderful friend, who also contends with anxiety on a daily basis, I’m learning to push myself a little more each time, so that I know for a fact I can stand it.