Type As get all the attention. We love reading about Type A characteristics, we admire Type A people, and we really don’t know a whole lot about Type B people.
There is no supreme personality trait. But when it comes to type A and type B, it is simply more acceptable to cop to being an A: a hard-charging go-getter who gets stuff done. The implication being that type Bs lack drive, ambition and ability, which is not the case. The B type personality is laid-back, but it is also patient, creative, collaborative, and even wise.
So, without further adieu, here are 10 ways the lesser known personality type may be the best one after all.
1. You might be healthier. Type Bs are slow to anger and experience less chronic stress, which is associated with better outcomes for just about every health complaint, from asthma to depression to Type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
2. Everyone wants you on their project. Type B’s are creative thinkers, with a big-picture worldview, who are diligent and happy to share credit.
3. You’re a better friend. Type B personalities are often more poised in social situations: They are less competitive, more patient, more collaborative and happier to enjoy the moment — all infectious and pleasant behaviors to be around.
4. You take the long view. Bs are big picture thinkers. What they lack in detail-orientation, they make up for in a coherent view of the road ahead.
5. You do well with risk and failure. Type Bs are typically calm in the face of failure. Success is better, but a setback won’t send them reeling in quite the same way as it would a type A.
6. You see the good in people. One indication of a type B personality is the ability to see those around you for more than their usefulness to your purposes or a potential threat to your ascendency.
7. Creativity flows from you. Rather than the perception of laid-back people as not very smart, many type Bs lack urgency because their minds are elsewhere: creating interesting new products, solving complex problems and taking in the broader context.
8. You know how to enjoy the moment. The upside of being less hard-charging is that type Bs can enjoy each step on the path toward their goals.
9. You’re generally more satisfied with life. B types are more likely to feel satisfied with their lot in life, which isn’t just a happy way to be, it’s a healthy way too.
10. You put new people at ease. Your easy-going, outwardly-oriented ways don’t just put friends and colleagues at ease — they help you with new acquaintances and strangers as well, who can sense your generosity of spirit.